Buying the perfect accents and accessories for your home is can be overwhelming, but it’s critical to maintaining the home’s style and value. It’s so important to pick what will match the best while also providing the necessary elements to fit your home. Picking the perfect garage door is no different. And with some many different options available to you, it can be hard to make your decision.
With the help of BlackHawk Garage Door, you can find the perfect garage door for your home!
7 Things to Consider When Buying a Garage Door
To be able to pick the best garage door, there are some things you need to keep in mind.
- Home style. You obviously won’t want to pick a garage door that completely clashes with the style of your home. If you have a modern-style home, you’ll want a modern-style door. If you have a rustic home, you’ll want a rustic door. Consider a carriage-house-style door to enhance the beauty of a traditional home.
- Finish. Your garage door takes up a decent amount of the exterior of the home, so you’re going to want to pay attention to the finish. Now, you can use the garage door to make a statement with a unique color or design, or you can pick a certain color to accent the home. Just make good use of the finish you choose.
- Windows. Some garage doors have windows included and some don’t. Think about the windows and whether having them will affect your garage. Additionally, if you live in an area that experiences lots of high-wind-related storms, there are impact-resistant windows to consider.
- Insulation. If you use your garage as a workspace of any kind, you should pay attention to the insulation. It can keep the heat or cold from coming in, which can save energy and money down the road.
- Material. There are several different materials to choose from when it comes to a garage door. Most people will choose a material based on their own style preferences, but you should consider other needs, such as durability, when selecting a garage door material. Consider the following choices:
Steel — Steel is a highly durable option for garage doors, and it can be manufactured with the beauty and symmetry of wood. It’s also available in a variety of finishes.
Traditional Wood— There’s really no substitute for the luxury of a handcrafted wood door in hemlock, redwood, or cedar to make your home stand out.
Glass— For a sleek, modern aesthetic and a bright, airy space, consider glass-paneled doors.
Classic aluminum — These standard garage door have persisted for a reason. They offer a great balance of quality and value that complements many home styles, and they’re affordable.
- Size. You will definitely need to pay attention to the door sizing. Most doors are similar heights of 7-8 feet. However, there are doors for one-car or two-car garages. You have the availability to have a taller door made if you need. Some homes have a three-car garage, but they use three separate doors. No matter your situation, you need to take precise measurements or better yet, work with a professional who will handle the technical aspects for you. Proper size is essential for both the fit and function of the door.
- Hardware used. We’ve previously mentioned high wind exposure. If you’re in an area that experiences lots of wind, you’ll want to find a heavier duty garage door. Also, you can’t forget about the tracks and other hardware for your garage door. You’ll want to really focus on these things for smooth operation and to ensure you aren’t making repairs or adjustments constantly.
Picking a garage door is not as straightforward as picking a color and style that you like. There are many other factors to consider to make sure you find the perfect door that will perform properly for many years to come.
Tips to Remember When Buying a Garage Door
In addition to the considerations listed above, some additional tips will help you find the garage door you’ll be happiest with. A home garage door is a significant investment, so it’s worth taking the time to make sure you’ve made the best possible choice.
- Where do I live? It is so important to consider where you live when garage door shopping. If you live somewhere that is prone to hurricanes, you need a door that can withstand those high winds. If you live in an area that experiences extreme temperatures, investing in a more insulated door will make for a more comfortable garage in the hottest and coldest months.
- Curb appeal. Your home makes a personal statement about your design choices, and since it takes up so much space, your garage door is a big part of that. Complementing the design of your home is important, especially if there’s a chance you’ll sell the property in the future.
- Your budget. Garage doors are a higher-priced renovation project, so it’s important to balance quality with what you’ve allocated for the replacement door. Once you have settled on a number, a garage-door professional can show you options in your price range.
- Don’t forget about the maintenance. Some materials require more maintenance than others. A wooden door might require more upkeep than metal, for example. Ask your professional what’s involved. If a wood door will take more time that you can spare, you might want a steel door with a faux-wood finish.
- Installation. Installing a garage door properly is just as important as choosing the right door. It’s a complex process not well-suited to DIY, so contact a professional to make sure your new door will operate smoothly and safely. We offer installation services for residential and commercial buildings in a number of areas.
Trust the Experts at BlackHawk Garage Door
At BlackHawk Garage Door, we can help you find the perfect garage door for your home or commercial building, and we can also install and maintain it properly. We can also help with repairs! Whether you need maintenance or repair for your garage door, door opener or the springs associated with your door, BlackHawk’s excellent techs have years of experience and will have your door running smoothly in no time. We can also help when it comes to your garage flooring with our polyurea floor coatings, which are slip-resistant.
If you need any assistance or are interested in our products and services, you can give us a call at (715) 688-3200 or fill out the contact us form on our website. Let us help with your garage door needs today!