Polyurea Floor Coatings Minnesota & Wisconsin
As for why you may want to opt for Polyurea floor coatings, the reasons are many. One of the primary reasons is that you can extend the life of your garage floors rather than have to replace them. This is something that can save you a great deal of money.
Floor Coatings Come With Many Benefits
Aside from the money saved by extending the life of your garage floor, what are other benefits of garage floor coatings?
- The floor is durable in that it becomes more able to handle chemicals, impacts, chipping, abrasions, and stains. If you drop something, you don’t have to panic about floor damage.
- Having Black Hawk Garage Door, a garage floor coating company install the coating will ensure the job is done right and quickly so that you can get back to using your garage floor quickly. This process is quicker than having your old floor destroyed and then a new floor put down.
- Polyurea is topical, so it has an anti-dusting effect. Much of the dust that shows up in a garage comes from the dust that is shed by a concrete floor. Normal traffic can kick up the dust, so that means it is much more serious when traffic is heavy. Having the floor coated can keep dust off of vehicles, machines, tool benches, and other surfaces.
- Garage floor coating protects your floor against moisture. Minnesota and Wisconsin have a snowy climate and that means a lot of moisture. This is one reason why concrete floor coatings are so popular throughout the state.
- Because the weather can be rather wet in Minnesota and Wisconsin, slip resistant aggregate can be added to the final coat in order to create a non-skid surface.
- Better light distribution is another benefit when the floor is glossy. The flooring can better reflect artificial and natural light. When you need more lighting without installing new lights, reflective flooring can be the answer. A quality clear topcoat can contribute to this and a topcoat also protects the coating and any color flakes, adds even more durability, hides scratches better, and adds depth to the coating.
High Quality Coatings That Do The Job
Sometimes floor coatings can be confused as paint. If a garage floor is painted, it is done so with a latex acrylic paint.
Polyurea coatings are not paint, although some floor paints will have some epoxy added to them to make the paint more durable. At the end of the day, it’s still paint. Epoxy is a thermosetting resin that coats the floor.
Polyurea coatings receive high marks from hobbyists, home mechanics, car dealerships, and many others. They enjoy the chemical and stain resistance, especially when it comes to brake fluids, anti-freeze, and the caustic car chemicals that can plague a garage floor.
The only things that floor coatings may not be able to withstand are welding and anything that can result in very hot substances touching the floor. Burn marks can be created. If your garage floor has a moisture issue, it is possible for the rate of moisture vapor transmission from underneath the slab to delaminate the polyurea if the moisture content is high.
But what about hot tires after they’ve been on the road?
Lesser quality coatings like epoxy paint can be affected, but a quality commercial coating can resist the heat from the tires.
Due to the fact that coated concrete floors wear so well, the product warranties can be long. It is not out of the question for a warranty to last longer than a decade. In addition, Black Hawk Garage Door makes sure the job is done right and will make it right if there is a problem. The great thing about professional installation is that the knowledge and experience is there to perform the installation right the first and only time.
Floor Coatings Are Easy To Manage
Another aspect of floor coatings that people wonder about is the maintenance. When you opt for something new, one of the last things you want is something that requires a lot of maintenance. The good news is that garage floor coatings are rather easy to manage. Easy maintenance saves time and money.
Polyuria floor coatings can be maintained in the following ways:
- Dust mop once per week. A dust mop that is around 24” to 36” wide is ideal and they are relatively inexpensive.
- Vacuum out saw cuts and contraction joints at least once a month or just use a broom to keep the debris out.
- If fluids spill onto the floor, spot clean with a soft cloth. If the spill leaves a film, Windex can be used to clean.
- A polyurea floor that deals with a lot of traffic should be foam mopped with a cleaning solution every 3 to 4 months. Foam mops can be found at local home improvement stores and an 8:1 ratio of simple green in a spray bottle and a bucket of hot water can be all that you need to get the job done. Rinse the floor when finished scrubbing and that’s it.
- Another solution to deep clean the floor is ½ cup of ammonia to a gallon of hot water. Apply the mixture with the sponge mop, rinsing the mop often.
A Wide Range Of Options
In addition to all of these qualities, floor coatings also come with a wide range of options. You can have colored chips added to the coating to give the flooring more personality. You can also opt for a color that works for you and your flooring. Retail locations, office buildings, warehouses, commercial garages, and many others opt for colored coatings so that they can add patterns to their flooring or so they can make their flooring coincide well with the overall décor. If you have a vision, tell your Twin Cities floor coating installers about it and you will be presented with options.
Contact Black Hawk Garage Door
Floor coatings have many purposes, but the most common is the durability it gives an existing concrete floor so it looks great and lasts longer. If you are ready to experience the benefits of Contact Blackhawk Garage Door Residential & Commercial at 715-688-3200 today for a free estimate.
Bloomington Office: 7940 12th Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55425 | Phone Number: (952) 894-0970